I am a highly experienced, senior sales and marketing professional and sales leader with more than 25 years of sales and leadership experience, developing and managing sales teams and winning new business with and through partner channels, and delivering profitable revenue growth through an approach of clarity, openness and flexibility.
I am by nature inquisitive and inquiring and whole heartedly embrace any technology that enhances our experiences. Teamwork and Fun are important elements of work/life for me, so whilst I am deadly serious about the business of business, I do like to work in an environment that is fun to be in and where there is a great team culture.
I am very much a people person and fundamentally believe that it is the people in an organisation that make it a success or otherwise, and for me, a great attitude is at the root of all success. As a keen rugby union fan (Leicester Tigers, England and Lions by the way), I appreciate the value of teamwork over individual endeavour. Being the best you can be individually though is a personal mantra.
I am a catalyst – connecting and coordinating people and opportunities. I am a motivator and aim to inspire people to be the best that they can be through coaching and mentoring.
- Sales professional
- A creative, self-aware, intelligent and flexible people leader
- A high quality practiced professional sales person
- Vast experience in partner channel or indirect sales working at all levels through the value chain.
- Proven coaching skills and people development capability.
- A recognised motivator with strong interpersonal, communication and persuasive skills.
- Results focussed
- Communicating with clarity and persuasively
- Microsoft Lync
- unified Communications
- Voice and data convergence
- Contact/call centres
- Networking/remote working
- Enterprise mobility
- Cloud/off-premise solutions
iPass Ltd – December 2015 – current – Regional Director – UK & Ireland
We now live in a Wi-Fi First World. iPass is your global Wi-Fi solution partner, keeping you connected to what matters most.
iPass is a cloud-based service that provides our customers access to the world’s largest Wi-Fi network, allowing them to stay connected to the information and people that matter most wherever and whenever they need it.
Unlimited data. Unlimited devices. Unlimited possibilities.
My mission is to continue the great work already underway, to raise our profile and recruit new partners and customers with a focus on mutual growth.
SCC Ltd – October 2014 – November 2015
SCC is an impressive story – a privately owned 40 year old business, in fact the largest independent IT company in Europe. So what? Well SCC offer their customers a genuine opportunity to reduce supplier cost and leverage a 5000 strong workforce across the life-cycle of their IT infrastructure and applications. An impressive portfolio of products, solutions and services and well as resources and disposal.
Workspace – Sales Specialist & Business Development Manager – Systems Integrators and Consulting
I joined the newly created WORKSPACE business unit with a role to open shop for the entire proposition set- from Unified Comms and Mobility, through Visual Comms and End User Compute. I was aligned to the London city branch and after proposition launch in Nov\Dec 2014, was advised that I was to be redeployed as the Business Unit was being dispersed across other operational BUs. I duly joined up with the SI sales branch and am now responsible for building a position with 3 large UK Systems Integrators as well as two key customers.
Amillan Ltd – June 2012 – September 2014
Amillan is an agile systems integrator head-quartered in the Midlands and serving mainly the UK. Founded nearly 3 decades ago as an infrastructure business, the team at Amillan has been steadily adding capabilities over the 30 year journey to a position today where the lead propositions are Microsoft Lync UC (on premise or hosted), Alcatel Lucent UC, Aspect Contact Centre, and Data solutions from Alcatel Lucent and Extreme Networks
Recruited to assist Amillan drive penetration into new markets with newly on-boarded Microsoft Lync solutions, and to develop appropriate strategic relationships with vendors, partners and new customers.
- Opened key new relationships with contact centre vendors – Aspect, Enghouse, PrairieFyre and Altigen, as well as Hosting partners and other eco-system vendors and support partners
- Opened key strategic LAR relationships to complement Amillan’s activities and drive incremental opportunities and provide new routes to market for Lync Enterprise UC solutions.
- Trained and coached the Account Development team
- Led the engagement with several of Microsoft’s teams and developed significant opportunities through a targeted and programmatic approach – developing the Amillan brand in each sector
- Built £multi-million pipeline of new business opportunity
Sold the first Lync 2013 deployment in the UK; the first Apect contact centre solution for Amillan and blue light service as well as the first SMART Lync room system
TDAzlan – August 2010-December 2011
The enterprise networking division of Computer 2000 a Tech Data company
Avaya & Audiocodes Business Leader
I was recruited into Azlan to run a multi-skilled team with the responsibility of developing the Avaya “Red” revenue stream as net new additional business to the existing small “Blue” (Nortel) revenues in the UK. I was subsequently tasked with also developing the new Audiocodes business as part of the overall UC proposition.
- Formed a new multi-skilled team in August 2010
- Recruited more than 30 new channel partners and drove them quickly to revenue through close engagement – lead generation and high touch support
- Largest projects won: £300k + £250k with partner in hospitality market
- Largest pipeline projects: $5m with Global Si and £1.2m with UK VAR
- Introduced product sets to a further 7
- Doubled revenues within 6 months to £5m run rate
- Developed skills base
- Initiated logistics “amendments” and garnered support to accommodate a differentiated non-transactional model
- Grew Avaya project pipeline by 1000% to more than £7m
- Introduced Audiocodes and developed a £1m pipeline in under 6 months
- Developed “product sales champions” within the sales team to support our aims
Opal Telecom (now Talk Talk Business) – Jan 2010-June 2010
B2B arm of Talk Talk
Head of Distribution
I was recruited to take over responsibility for the existing “Dealer” channel business, and the newly acquired V- Networks business as two disparate offerings, but with a remit to merge over time. This involved me defining a preferred “end-game” proposition to the business for adoption. I was head-hunted from Opal in June 2010
Pera Consulting Ltd – Founder and MD Nov 2008 – Jan 2010
Private consultancy practice offering the following services:
- Channel Development
- Sales enablement
Providing channel development services to organisations developing an indirect sales strategy, and wishing to improve their sales engagement and “win ratios”
Delivered new client with 24 qualified target new partner opportunities within 6 weeks. A further 13 were contacted and follow up was left with the client.
Avaya – September 1993-October 2008
Global leader in telecommunications
UK Channel Sales Director – Apr 2007- Oct 2008
Responsible for UK indirect business across its IP Office product portfolio, managing a team of 7 sales specialists
- Highest performing region globally for the SMB business
- Delivering a 100% quota achievement of $30m revenue in a challenging period when others were failing
- Driving new key initiatives in an under-resourced and under-funded business segment
- 0% staff attrition under my leadership
- Conceived and initiated “solution sales training” for the channel and had £30k funding approved internally. Training delivered to 150 quota bearing channel representatives by external organisation. This was in support of 2 goals:
- Improve win/loss ratios
- Increase sales order values and penetration of application sales
This delivered a 16:1 payback of £500,000 as calculated by the growth in Avaya revenues across the preceding months and following months.
Head of Distribution – UK/Ire and RSA – Oct 2006 – Apr 2007
Responsible to the segment country leader for distribution strategy and implementation through a team of 1 direct report and 3 matrix reports
- Increased coverage with 2 new Distn partnerships signed and operationalised in South Africa and 1 in Ireland.
- Initiated Avaya Learning partnerships with MTV and Nimans (and operationalised) in order for them to deliver approved technical training for their newly recruited reseller partners.
- Joined product development council as UK go to sales resource to add value to the development feedback cycle and enhance channel readiness at launch
Account Director – Distribution – Oct 1999 – Oct 2006
Responsible to Channel Director initially managing Crane for 5 years – Largest distributor outsideNorth America, and carrying a $72m revenue target. Latterly – a more development based role managing the new distribution channel (Nimans) and MTV Telecom with a strong net new strategy.
- Crane –In my last year on this account we grew the revenues by 56% in a flat market!! Whilst traditional revenues lines were declining.
- Driving Nimans to fastest growing distributor in EMEA.
Regional Business Manager/Regional Sales Manager/Regional Account Manager – Sept 1993 – Oct 1999 (SDX to 1998, then Lucent Technologies)
I joined SDX Business Systems in September 1993 as northern regional account manager, responsible for managing all SDX resellers in the North of the UK. My objective was to identify the best Accounts for development and new channels to recruit, whilst reducing unproductive engagements. I had overall responsibility for delivering sales and product training, which lead to building strong relationships and trust. Key aspects of the role were customer presentations and support for the sales teams in customer negotiations.
My success delivered rewards and promotion initially to Regional Sales Manager and a team of 2 new recruits for my region, and soon afterwards to Regional Business Manager and further recruitment of 2 new sales managers and 6 additional account managers.
- Growing revenues in the north from <£600k per annum to >£15m in 5 years.
- Some key wins with aging product was always satisfying (SDX 60N and 420N)
- Recruiting and developing some of Avaya’s most successful channel partners in the UK
- Developing and delivering the SDX (Call centre PPS) Professional Product Specialist course and qualification
- Delivering the launch presentations on the SDX DRC (Data Router Cassette – developed with Bay Networks)
Member of the Institute of sales and marketing management
TAS sales methodology
Dale Carnegie “Managing through people”
Dove Nest Leadership training
LDL sales and negotiation training
INLPTA Diploma Sales
INLPTA Diploma Leadership
INLPTA Diploma Coaching
Date of Birth: 23 December 1963
Health: Fit and healthy.
Family, Squash, Rugby – armchair participant these days, and still with passion. My teams are Leicester Tigers and England), cooking – When my wife allows me, reading– particularly enjoy inspiring biographies and personal development, golf, although largely customer/corporate these days, and as I mentioned, I love technology, and most importantly how it enhances our experience rather than frustrates us.